What is PostbacCAS?
PostbacCAS is a centralized application service that offers prospective postbaccalaureate students a convenient way to research and apply to graduate programs offered at participating schools nationwide. Through PostbacCAS, students need to complete only one electronic application and prepare one set of corresponding materials (i.e. references, transcripts, resume/CV, personal statements) that will be disseminated online to one or multiple participating programs. Each participating program will also have the opportunity to ask applicants for any additional information that is not already collected as part of the root application. PostbacCAS verifies the application components for accuracy, calculates grade point averages, and sends the materials to the programs designated by the applicant.
What benefits will programs realize by participating in PostbacCAS?
- Automated calculation of BCPM and numerous other GPAs for each applicant as well as access to tools used to calculate local GPAs based on individual program requirements
- Ability to complete application review entirely online with official authenticated, verified and scanned documents
- Use of interview scheduling, scoring and robust customer relationship management tools that allow programs to send targeted communications to prospective applicants throughout the process
- Exposure to a broader range of applications and help sorting through the existing large pool of applicants
- Flexible and customizable analytic tools that enable programs to compare data and rank applications on various self-determined criteria
- Verification and processing services that reduce administrative costs and staff time typically devoted to verifying student application data, freeing admission staff to focus on higher level activities
- Access to real-time data on applicants that can be easily sorted, segmented and exported, either manually or programmatically, to existing admissions systems
How will prospective students benefit from the application service?
- PostbacCAS offers a convenient and efficient process to research and apply to multiple participating postbac programs using a single Web-based application.
- The service reduces or eliminates the need for duplicate application data, letters of reference, transcripts, and other admissions materials.
- Students may access in real-time an applicant portal which can be used to check the status of their graduate school application, including the receipt of verified transcripts and letters of reference.
- Students will have one point of contact to meet customer service and technical support needs throughout the application process.
Do other health professions use centralized application services?
Yes, there are over 30 other groups of health professions that benefit from a CAS. The list of those professions include medicine (AMCAS), dentistry (AADSAS), physician assistants (CASPA), veterinary medicine (VMCAS), nursing (NursingCAS), pharmacy (PharmCAS), public health (SOPHAS) , physical therapy (PTCAS) and most of the other health professions. Applicants find these services convenient to use, and schools enjoy the convenience of having a single point of entry into their respective professions and receiving completed and verified applications.
What are the costs and fees associated with using PostbacCAS?
There is no cost for a program to participate in PostbacCAS. Your program’s participation will include being listed among all the participating postbac programs and use of WebAdMIT, the PostbacCAS admissions management portal.
As with all CAS, there will be a processing fee charged to the applicant for each program to which he or she applies. The processing fees shall be $130 for the first program and $45 for each additional program.
How are the PostbacCAS fees to applicants determined?
Liaison has consulted with the PostbacCAS Advisory Committee regarding the level of effort required to process and service postbac applications. The level of service is compared to that of the other health professional CAS to determine the appropriate fee structure.
Will PostbacCAS interface with my enrollment management software?
Yes, CAS systems for the other health professions service thousands of programs, and most interface directly with a variety of popular and home-grown enrollment management software, including Banner, PeopleSoft and Slate, for example. Some schools opt to manually enter information from verified applications submitted through CAS directly into their own enrollment databases.
Will a CAS increase the number of applicants to my program?
Data from the implementation of other services has repeatedly indicated an overall increase in applicants to participating programs. A CAS will supplement the current marketing, recruitment and admission strategies already in place. Specific variations among programs are likely with the aggregate trend for an increase being the most likely outcome. The development and implementation of a service will facilitate the efforts already in place at programs but cannot guarantee the growth of applicant pools. Empirical evidence from other associations suggests that programs may expect an overall increase in applications but individual increases will vary. Programs that are concerned with an increase in applications should know that a CAS would likely lessen the impact of increased applications. The administrative application process itself is less time-consuming, since the application information will be sent in formats that meet the needs of each school. The CAS will also electronically send ready-to-read folders for each applicant daily via the provided, free admission management software.
What level of support will I receive if I participate in PostbacCAS?
Expert and dedicated PostbacCAS staff will be available to answer applicant questions throughout the application process. A dedicated phone line and email address will be assigned to applicants. In addition, schools will have a dedicated phone line and email address to answer individual inquiries in a timely manner.
Who is overseeing the implementation of PostbacCAS?
Liaison International has engaged with an advisory committee that consists of seven postbaccalaureate program directors. Discussions have been ongoing for the past 9 months to ensure the PostbacCAS is in the best interest of participating programs and will provide benefits to applicants, programs and the discipline as a whole.
Who establishes PostbacCAS policies and procedures?
As is the case with all Liaison-powered Centralized Application Services (CAS), an advisory board comprised of CAS users will determine ALL policies, procedures and working standards for PostbacCAS. Our dedicated and veteran PostbacCAS advisory board consists of 7 postbac program directors to facilitate these decisions. Liaison does not establish policy, but rather implements the decisions made by this group to best advance the service.